ciq message

Subject: Fwd: Question about GML

CIQ TC,

Message from OGC about their use of XLINK.

Ram

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carl Reed OGC Account <creed@opengeospatial.org>
Date: Aug 18, 2006 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: Question about GML
To: Ram Kumar <kumar.sydney@gmail.com>

And here is some guidance from Ron Lake, father of GML and XML geek
extraordinaire.

Carl

Hi,

There are some xlink tools - but none of them are very recent nor very
useful.  Any XML parser will parse the xlink attributes.  The question is
then what semantics you apply to them.

The meaning of xlink:href on a GML property is that it is a pointer to the
value of the property.  It plays a similar role to the rdf:resource property
in RDF.  Parsing the value of the xlink:href (a URI) in XML is again handled
by the parser.  The value of the URI may be an arbitrary URI that is a URL
and points to the resource just like in HTML.  It may be a URN (Uniform
Resource Name) that you can use as if it were well known (i.e. do a table
look up in your own software) or it may be passed to a URN resolver that
does the look up for you and provides the resource or a handle to the
resource (perhaps a URL) that use to get the resource.  So for simple xlinks
(most of the usage in GML) you don't meet much in terms of special software.

You may also want to make use of some of the other properties in the gml
Association Attribute Group - in particular gml:remoteSchema.  Parsing is
just as above - but you need to use the referenced resource (a schema
fragment pointer) you will need to fetch the resource as above, apply the
likely XPointer filter contained in the URI value, and then pass the schema
fragment to an XML Schema validating parser.  Again no really special tools
involved.

Where life could get more complex is if the xlink:href or gml:remoteSchema
attributes contain XPointer expressions - especially ones that use string
operators etc. Here there are a number of libraries around that can be used
as starting points. Including:

·
http://www.xbrlapi.org/javadoc/org/xbrlapi/xpointer/package-summary.html

·         http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/internals.html

·         http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2005-October/011229.html

·
http://skew.org/~mike/4suite-docs/html/modules/Ft.Xml.XPointer.html

I hope that helps!  BTW there are also some libraries and XLink processing
engines (see
http://skew.org/~mike/4suite-docs/html/modules/Ft.Xml.XLink.html)

Cheers

Ron