cmis-browser message

Subject: RE: [cmis-browser] Groups - HighlevelDesign.xlsx uploaded

HI Greg,

thanks for reviewing! I think the main value of the sheet is the table on the second sheet. I think this structure may be a piece of information that could make some sense to preserve. Everything else is probably more in state of notes and covered by other documents already. Meanwhile we also made progress with the Orderly schema, so I guess the first page of the sheet can be replaced by our schema definitions. If we want to keep it we definitely need to align at to the Orderly schema as you said. The “need for a specific resource or handle as Object” raised the question whether we need separate schemas for Folder, Document, Relationship, Policy or if we have a general schema for object. The current schema proposal answers this. The “Other” page is just  a question if we already have an answer for some open questions. If there is no proposal yet, we should open a JIRA.

The URL syntax is definitely something that we need to discuss. My personal working hypothesis for the moment would be:

·         Let’s make use of the full http possibilities with GET, POST, PUT, DELETE

·         Let’s try to define an alternate syntax for environments where we only have GET and POST available

·         If this causes too many issues or appears to be as much more effort let’s drop (1)

·         We need to discuss what’s part of the URL path and what’s a query string, we should consider

o   Proxy friendliness and caching possibilities

o   Escaping of object ids for special characters

o   Compatibility with existing servlet containers like Tomcat

Jens

From: Gregory Melahn [mailto:melahn@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Sonntag, 21. November 2010 23:22
To: Jens Hübel
Cc: cmis-browser@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello Jens,

I finally had some time to review the document. Thanks for putting it together!

A few initial comments.

  • On the first sheet, could you add a column that relates the resources to the proposed Orderly spec? It would seem that there is a nice mapping such as Properties maps to the Orderly schema for http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/cmis/browser/201103/properties and if there is not such a nice mapping then we need more work on the schema
  • The url syntax and what is proposed in Jira issue 677 are still at odds - obviously still some discussion needed
  • I don't think we should omit the saved queries collection, just because it may not be widely implemented yet
  • I am not sure what you mean by " need for a specific resource or handle as Object". I would think we need to define Document, Folder etc in the schema and I am note sure if you are saying we don't, and why
  • A table like you provide on the second sheet is very useful and we should add something like that to the proposal document.
  • I suppose supporting PUT and DELETE could be done as long as there was first class support for just using GET and POST, though I am not convinced it would be worth the additional effort from the vendors that need to implement it because I still think the web developers will just use GET and POST. I would like to hear what the vendors that provide the server side impls think
  • I am not sure what to make of notes on the 'Other' page; do you intend to open Jira issues on those?

I hope we can spend some time discussing this in the mailing list and in our phone call.

Gregory Melahn
STSM
IBM Collaboration Solutions
melahn@us.ibm.com
919 254 0295

Inactive hide details for jhuebel---11/12/2010 10:18:31 AM---The document named HighlevelDesign.xlsx has been submitted by Mr. jhuebel---11/12/2010 10:18:31 AM---The document named HighlevelDesign.xlsx has been submitted by Mr. Jens

jhuebel@opentext.com

cmis-browser@lists.oasis-open.org

11/12/2010 10:18 AM

[cmis-browser] Groups - HighlevelDesign.xlsx uploaded

The document named HighlevelDesign.xlsx has been submitted by Mr. Jens
Huebel to the CMIS Browser Binding SC document repository.

Document Description:
Document to get an overview about the overall protocol design

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=40229

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/40229/HighlevelDesign.xlsx

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste

-OASIS Open Administration