Subject: Re: [cmis] What you think the TC should do

David,

Thank you for starting this discussion. I am interested in having a simple, easy to use and implement specification that addresses the common (80%) use cases required by the majority of ECM applications on a repository.

I would like to be able to leverage CMIS for engineering efficiency when developing connectors to IBM repositories, namely FileNet P8 Content Manager and IBM Content Manager 8. I'd also like help customers protect their investments in applications they buy or develop to allow them to run those applications on repositories of their choice. I'd also like to encourage ISVs in this space to develop ECM applications that run across many different repositories.

To keep it simple, I'd like the minimum number of optional features. I'd also like the features/functionality to be fully discoverable by the client if variations are allowed.

In 0.5, the feature that comes up a lot as missing is Access Control Lists. E.g., the ability to set a simple list of users or groups who have access to an object. I am not sure it is required. It does come up frequently. Another item that may be relevant is hierarchical or complex properties. An example of this would be an address property that contains street, city, state and zip properties.

I'd also like to get a core specification out as soon as possible that provides the ECM industry a base to start from for interoperability while we then add additional capabilities in the next release. This also allows us to learn and gain feedback from the marketplace.

-Al

Al Brown
ECM CTO Staff, Information Managament
Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 263 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.

Inactive hide details for Choy_David---11/17/2008 03:52:00 PM---In preparation for "TC objective" discussion next Monday, I encChoy_David---11/17/2008 03:52:00 PM---In preparation for "TC objective" discussion next Monday, I encourage

Choy_David@emc.com

<cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>

11/17/2008 03:52 PM

[cmis] What you think the TC should do

In preparation for "TC objective" discussion next Monday, I encourage
each member share his/her thoughts (if there is any) on what this TC
should do towards the first release of CMIS spec (besides bug fixing and
editorial enhancement). Sharing thoughts in advance can make our
discussion more efficient. For example, tell us
- Any aspect in v0.5 that you think needed more work
- Any capability not in v0.5 that you think should be added to
make 1.0 useful
- Whether you think the "compliance model" in v0.5 is reasonable
(i.e. there are a fixed number of optional features that are
individually discoverable)
- Whether you think v0.5 is more or less sufficient content-wise,
and that the TC should get 1.0 out quickly once the quality of the spec
is up to par
Let us know what you think. This is a direction/scoping discussion, to
give us some idea where we may be heading, and also to help us see if we
need to take certain action proactively.

For any specific issue that you may have on the spec, please submit it
through the Issue Tracker instead.

Thanks,

david