Subject: Reference Implementations and Test Suites: Useful Slides

Without getting into my concerns about reference implementations (expect more later), I wanted to note that there is an useful connection between reference implementations and test suites or sets of test assertions that might be developed for use in developing conformance materials.

The ODF Interoperability and Conformance TC also meets every two weeks.  We save the intervening week for Expert Talks that are unofficial gatherings where outsiders and TC members can confer on various subjects.  These do not count for attendance and they are not meetings of the committee (no minutes, no actions can be taken, etc.)

The first expert talk was with David Marston, of IBM, presenting his "Thoughts on ODF Conformance Testing I."  The slides that Marston provided are quite useful and relevant to the CMIS TC in terms of the general principles and the envisioned "Work Product of an Ideal TC."

Marston contributed his slide set here:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic-comment/200812/msg00002.html

I recommend it.  I also recommend having a session with David.  His slide-talk goes beyond the basic talking points with useful anecdotal illustrations from his experience in this way.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org