Subject: RE: [cmis] Proposal CMIS TC issue process

Happy New Year to all!

I am all for simplicity. We should adopt a process that minimizes unnecessary overhead and bottleneck. Electronic tools allow us work asynchronously and in parallel. The main source of bottleneck is TC meeting/voting. In that regard, I wonder:

-          Is it necessary for the TC to vote to accept/reject each submitted issue? Before taking this vote, we need to discuss the merit of the issue. After an issue is accepted, we then start the real discussion. Why don’t we just automatically accept all submitted issues and start discussion right away? Rejecting an issue is a resolution one can propose.

-          Do we go over all open issues in every TC meeting? If there are many open issues that are not yet ready for decision, this just turns parallel discussions into a serial one, even though we are trying to determine the status of each one in the meeting. Ideally, in each TC meeting, we only want to handle issues that are ready for decision or that need conscious action to make further progress. In that case, who decide which issue is ready or needs attention? What are the guidelines? If a single person is to monitor the progress of all issues, that person can become a bottleneck.

One can picture the transition states as below:

The options seem to be

(1)     We assess the status of every open issue at each TC meeting, and vote on those that are ready.

(2)     A few designated members pick out category (A) and (B) issues according to certain guidelines and put them on TC meeting agenda. To prevent issues from falling through cracks, any member can ask to put any additional open issue on TC meeting agenda. This approach would allow us to utilize our meeting time more effectively.

david