Subject: Re: [cmis] empty multivalued properties

On 3 Apr 2009, at 15:19, Julian Reschke wrote:
> looking at the Domain Model 0.6, Section 2.2.1:
>
> "A multi-valued property is either set or not set in its entirety.
> An individual value of a multi-valued property SHALL NOT be in an
> individual “value not set” state and hold a position in the list of
> values. An empty list of values SHALL NOT be allowed."
>
> This is a really unfortunate mismatch with JCR, where repositories
> MUST support empty multivalued properties.
>
> Is this really necessary? Could the behavior be made optional?

In most uses cases I have, an empty list can be modeled by having the
property not set. This is enough for me, but I agree that the JCR
model for instance is more complex than that.

I guess many existing repositories just don't support empty lists as a
different value than null.

There's no easy solution, one model is richer than the other.

In any case I wouldn't want to see this be an optional behavior. The
spec should specify one or the other.

Florent

--
Florent Guillaume, Head of R&D, Nuxeo