Subject: Re: [cmis] Text encoding in AtomPub

fmueller@opentext.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a question to all the CMIS AtomPub client developers out there:
>
> I got stuck with document creation. In order to comply with AtomPub, text files must not be base64 encoded but enclosed in the <content> tag as plain text. This text must use the same encoding as the Atom XML around it.
> If I pick up a text file from the file system I don't know the encoding of this file and therefore I can't re-encode the text correctly. If the original encoding of the text file and the encoding of the Atom XML don't match by coincidence the document content in the repository will be different from the original content. That is, I can't rely on this method. Since creating documents in two steps (entry first, then adding content) is not supported by all repositories this is not viable option either.
>
> Do I make an error in reasoning or do we have a real issue here?

I would phrase it differently: to include text from an existing text
"file" into XML, you will need to know the character encoding. Which
makes it a requirement to know the encoding for these resources.

Question: if you do have text with unknown character encoding in your
system, how are *recipients* supposed to deal with it? Don't say "let
them sniff" (because in that case you could sniff in your CMIS
implementation as well :-) .

BR, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782