Subject: Re: [cmis] Text encoding in AtomPub

Please see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287#page-14.

I read type="text" to map to text/plain. Other text/* media types can be specified. See clause #5.

   5.  If the value of "type" begins with "text/" (case insensitive),
      the content of atom:content MUST NOT contain child elements.
-Al

Al Brown
Emerging Standards and Industry Frameworks
CMIS: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMCMIS/Home
Industry Frameworks: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMIF/Home

Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 263 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.

Inactive hide details for Florent Guillaume ---07/24/2009 05:29:02 AM---Hm you're right, AtomPub doesn't allow sending text/* iFlorent Guillaume ---07/24/2009 05:29:02 AM---Hm you're right, AtomPub doesn't allow sending text/* in base64. I

Florent Guillaume <fg@nuxeo.com>

Florian Müller <Florian.Mueller@opentext.com>

cmis@lists.oasis-open.org, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>

07/24/2009 05:29 AM

Re: [cmis] Text encoding in AtomPub

Hm you're right, AtomPub doesn't allow sending text/* in base64. I
hadn't realized its model was so restrictive.

But anyway if you pick a file from the filesystem, how do you know
that it's text, and that its media type is text/something?
If you have out-of-band information that gives a media type of text/
something, but without an encoding, then something is missing for it
to be interpreted correctly anyway by a processor that cares about
media type. But I agree that legacy systems may have such partial
information. I'd say in that case just guess the encoding if you can,
or otherwise pretend it's ISO-8859-1 which will allow all bytes to be
transmitted and stored back in the same way.

Florent