Subject: Re: Fw: [cmis-comment] HREF values in Link Relation URIs, etc

[Al Brown said]

> How should we handle the CMIS specific link relations [...]
> Should a new style of a namespace document be created for each [...]

At Mary's request, I have formulated for Al Brown a proposal for
handling of the ten (eleven/twelve) URIs at the DNS+HTTP level
so that the URIs:

a) have some meaningful representation returned to an HTML agent
    when they are dereferenced, as we expect for HTTP scheme URIs

b) are handled as non-information resources (viz., distinguished
    in processing from typical 'information resources' [1]; thanks
    to the CMIS TC, a key feature enabling server-level support
    has already been accounted for by the decision to utilize the
    CMIS TC's /ns/ path element, which allows URI rewrites using
    existing machinery

Al's suggestion to use something like a "new style of a namespace
document" is precisely what I thought of as a solution with
I created a news story for the CMIS public review draft, and
realized (yikes!) that the link relation URIs don't resolve [2].

If we understand a namespace to be fundamentally a "space of
names", then it's not too difficult to see the analogy to XML
namespaces and namespace documents. The root URI for the
collection of CMIS link relation identifiers is:

  http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/cmis/link/200908/

and each of the CMIS-specific link relations matching a
string identifier (URI) is a name in the hierarchical space
below /ns/cmis/link/200908/.

If a namespace document documents a namespace, then, by
analogy, a similar informative document (as an information
resource) can live at the end of the CMIS-specific link
relation URIs. Similar to the use of a single namespace
document to document several related URIs [3], a single
document could be used to document the key facts about
the CMIS-specific link relation URIs (associated
specification, spec owner(s), date, purpose, etc).

This analogy is (I think) consistent with an update I
made in August to the OASIS Naming Guidelines [4], clarifying
that use of the /ns/ path element seems like a reasonable
solution for "namespace related" URIs for collections of
named properties, functions, dialects, faults, actions,
and other message types as non-information resources.

Cheers,

- Robin Cover

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html