Subject: Re: [cmis] Survey on F2F, plugfest, and educational/promotional activities

Hello,

I am sending my comments via email, as they are a bit longer than the field size in the poll.

RE educational/promotional activities:

I am strongly in favor for more educational / promotional activities by the TC, in addition to various promotions by participating vendors.

The TC should explain more what work is going on, what initiatives and directions have been agreed within the TC, what the value is from these initiatives, and why they are relevant for the ECM market. I have seen little communication from the TC since the release of CMIS 1.0 about further plans and activities, beside significant market changes for example around cloud computing and mobile devices. CMIS should be very relevant to these changes, and the TC should clearly educate how the ongoing work aligns with these changes.

The primary audience for the TC should be the software vendors themselves, inside and outside of the TC. I talked to quite a number of different people within software vendors and was surprised to see a lot of uncertainty about CMIS. Some support it, but cannot explain why, others want to wait until customers ask for it, and only few promote it wholeheartedly. The TC should also find ways to promote to vendors outside of the TC, who don't want to participate in writing the spec, but they want to use it.

Customers and end users are less likely interested in a standard per se, they want to see products and solutions based on it. This has to come from the vendors directly, the TC needs to stay away from product related promotions.

The TC has many members with strong technical skills, which is great and very important for getting a good spec out at the end. Not everyone wants to participate in marketing stuff, but maybe we can establish a subgroup with a focus on promotion and education. I would be happy to lead/participate, if more people think this is important.

RE plugfest:

there is an obvious problem with the timing. Vendors will have different release dates, and a different status of their software at any given date. I keep thinking about a "permanent online plugfest", based on an online environment in which various CMIS clients and servers can be connected together. It should be possible to collaborate online between vendors and to resolve any issues, as this is done with many other software projects.

Such online test environment may not completly replace a f2f plugfest, a real meeting with everyone at the same table makes discussions and resolution finding much quicker. But it may be possible to postpone a real plugfest, or organize it less frequently. Maybe we can discuss this in the next call.

Currently, less than 10% of the CMIS TC members have given their vote. Whether you agree or disagree with my comments, please vote on all 3 questions.

thanks

Karsten Eberding

St.-Martin-Str. 19
85604 Zorneding