Subject: Re: [codelist] Re: Code List TC URIs/URLs; was: Dissenting argument on namespace URI

At 2007-04-17 17:59 +0100, Anthony B. Coates (Miley Watts) wrote:
>Related to this - when the specification and Schema go out for public
>review:
>
>* should be Schema be 1.0, or something else to indicate its draft nature
>(the namespace URL doesn't change with the status);
>* should the specification be "draft" and "1.0", or some other combination?

Looking at the UBL 2 experience, each of CS and OS had the same
finalized namespace URI strings (check the namespaces in these schemas):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/cs-UBL-2.0/xsd/maindoc/UBL-OrderCancellation-2.0.xsd
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/xsd/maindoc/UBL-OrderCancellation-2.0.xsd

I understand the final standardized string should be reflected in a
Committee Specification.  Implementations of Committee Specifications
are not to have to change in order to support the standard
version.  There can be no technical changes, including namespaces.

The Public Review Drafts (PRD) of UBL did, however, use the word
"draft", but I'm not sure that brought anything useful to the table
(other than confusion in some programs).  That an XML vocabulary
happens to validate an XML instance doesn't make that vocabulary the
standard for that instance ... I would think it could easily have a
draft status without needing a change in the string to "protect" it from abuse.

Reviewing the process:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php

Section 3.3 states that a public review draft can be approved as a
specification.  So I think the public review draft should have the
finalized namespace URI strings so as to avoid having to make any
changes in the committee specification.  Therefore I think the
committee draft should have the finalized namespace URI strings.  If
the public review mandates we have to change that, that is handled as
part of the public review disposition.

I know I had hassles between PRD and CS in the UBL project by not
remembering to change those strings.

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc