Subject: Re: [codelist] Re: Updated genericode specification

Regarding the conformance clause 4.4:

(1) - is it appropriate to include "must not be used as a de facto
location URI" statements?  Is that not out-of-band of the specification?

(2) - "xml:base does not apply to canonical URIs" seems related to
use, not specification

(3) - if we are to include "An application must ..." statements (I'm
not sure we should) then the opening paragraph of 4.4 needs to be
augmented with something like:  "including the following auxiliary
rules imposed on a genericode instance or an application processing a
genericode instance:"

The reason I'm hesitant about "An application must..." statement is
that we aren't defining a specification like XSLT with a processor,
we are defining a data format.  Is it up to the specification to
impose such constraints on how the data is used?

(4) - perhaps change "The external reference must not be prefixed
with a '#' symbol." to "The external reference must not begin with a
'#' character." since the reference is not separate from the prefix
(and I think "character" is more appropriate than "symbol")

Well done, Tony!  That certainly seems exhaustive.  But I think we
need to discuss the inclusion of application behaviours.

For example, if the file at a LocationURI changes arbitrarily, that
changes the conformance of a given genericode instance according to
this conformance clause.  I think it is enough *for conformance* that
the LocationURI be correctly formed regardless of what it points
to.  What if, say, the user is acting locally without an Internet
connection ... the content at the external location is unknown ...
does this mean the conformance of his instance is unknown?

So does it make sense to only include in the conformance section
clauses that apply to the instance as a standalone artefact, and move
other issues to a "guidelines for applications" section and make it
non-normative?

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
Male Cancer Awareness Jul'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc