Subject: New feature request for genericode 2.0

Looking at the list-level meta data in genericode, here is an example
from the UBL project:

<gc:CodeList xmlns:gc="http://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/ns/genericode/1.0/";>
    <Identification>
       <ShortName>CurrencyCode</ShortName>
       <LongName xml:lang="en">Currency</LongName>
       <LongName Identifier="listID">ISO 4217 Alpha</LongName>
       <Version>2001</Version>
       <CanonicalUri>urn:un:unece:uncefact:codelist:specification:54217</CanonicalUri>
       <CanonicalVersionUri>urn:un:unece:uncefact:codelist:specification:54217:2001-update</CanonicalVersionUri>
       <LocationUri>http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0-update/cl/gc/cefact/CurrencyCode-2.0.gc</LocationUri>
       <Agency>
          <LongName xml:lang="en">United Nations Economic Commission
for Europe</LongName>
          <Identifier>6</Identifier>
       </Agency>
    </Identification>

Note the proper use in genericode of the LongName for different ways
of identifying the list.  Two ways of distinguishing the LongName are
shown:  a language description (using xml:lang=) and an identifier
identification (using Identifier=).

Looking at the UN/CEFACT specification of unqualified data types,
there are two identifiers for code lists:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0-update/xsd/common/UnqualifiedDataTypeSchemaModule-2.0.xsd

   <xsd:attribute name="listID" type="xsd:normalizedString" use="optional">
   <xsd:attribute name="name" type="xsd:string" use="optional">

I picked Identifier="listID" out of the air because it matches the
attribute name used by UN/CEFACT.

The new "feature" I would like to discuss for consideration in
genericode is a standardized/recommended way of representing the
UN/CEFACT concept of a "list identifier".

It might be a new <Identification> child element, but perhaps we just
document the use of the existing LongName element so that readers of
the specification have a guideline.

Should we be using something like:

   Identifier="urn:un:unece:uncefact:codelist:listID"

... but who are we to pick up the UN URN namespace and choose a value to use?

Maybe we should use:

Identifier="urn:un:unece:uncefact:data:specification:UnqualifiedDataTypesSchemaModule:2"

... which is the namespace of the unqualified schema fragment.

Is this something that should be standardized/recommended by
UN/CEFACT, or something in the purview of our OASIS committee?

Should we even say anything at all in the genericode specification,
or leave this up to users like the UBL committee?

I'm curious to know your thoughts on this.

--
XSLT/XQuery/XSL-FO hands-on training - Los Angeles, USA 2009-06-08
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc