Subject: Thoughts on comment feedback from PRD01

Fellow CLRTC members,

Having reviewed Viswanath's input at:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist-comment/200912/msg00002.html

... these are my thoughts.

(1) - I can accept renaming the document element
<ValueListConstraints> to <ContextValueAssociation> as the current
name reflects a more limited scope that was true when the vocabulary
was first developed

(2) - based on my experience back with SGML and now with XML I am
uncomfortable having enumerated sibling elements of different types
under a common parent
     - I think encapsulating the repeating tests under a parent, and
the repeating lists under a parent follows an accepted approach in
vocabulary design
     - for example, when dealing with the sibling-axis in an
XPath-based environment, it is easier when a zero-or-more-siblings
being processed for a parent are the only items allowed under that parent

(3) - I am uncomfortable with "rule-sets-for-instance-information" as
I don't see these as rules, but as declarations of relationships
("rules" to me implies an imperative action of some kind)

(4) - I am uncomfortable with "instance-information" because
"information" is too general and subject to misinterpretation

(5) - I am uncomfortable with rule-set-id="" because using xml:id= is
recognized by modern XML languages as having XML ID semantics per the
W3C specification:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/

... and any other name will require additional work by users using,
for example, XSLT 2, to process a CVA file

(6) - the element <genericode-code-identification expression="xpath">
builds in an assumption about the genericode addressing needed by the
user when associating genericode list-level metadata with
instance-level metadata ... <Version> is but one example of
list-level metadata ... CVA users need the flexibility to use XPath
to address *any* component of list-level metadata ... note this
example from annex C of the CVA spec (especially note the need to use
predicates to qualify precisely which piece of list-level metadata is
being matched):

     <InstanceMetadataSet xml:id="cctsV2.01-code">
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listName"
                         identification="LongName[not(@Identifier='listID')]"/>
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listID"
                         identification="LongName[@Identifier='listID']"/>
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listVersionID"
                         identification="Version"/>
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listSchemeURI"
                         identification="CanonicalUri"/>
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listURI"
                         identification="LocationUri"/>
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listAgencyName"
                         identification="Agency/LongName"/>
       <InstanceMetadata address="@listAgencyID"
                         identification="Agency/Identifier"/>
     </InstanceMetadataSet>

(7) - I disagree that "binding" is a more appropriate and
self-explanatory element name instead of "context" because this
portion of a CVA file is listing a number of document contexts ...
yes, I can see that the declarations are binding document contexts to
value tests and lists and metadata, but I am concerned that "binding"
might be an overloaded term

(8) - I am uncomfortable with instances-satisfying="" because the
XPath address is the address of a single document context inside of
an instance, and the fact that it exists doesn't "satisfy" anything,
it only engages the testing of the value found at that context

In summary, I find from this contribution that changing the document
element name could very well help the user, so I support that change
in the next PRD.  My assessment is that the other changes may not be
improvements from a user's perspective.

But I am biased because I am so close to the vocabulary.  What
opinions do other members have?

I do appreciate that Viswanath has taken from his time to consider
the public review draft and for his detailed submission with
examples.  I thank him for this opportunity to discuss these suggestions.

--
UBL and Code List training:      Copenhagen, Denmark 2010-02-08/10
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19