Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX Object Survey

The survey is now closed! We received 39 responses in total; many thanks to all who responded for their input. A few comments from my perspective below, along with the results for each Object (in descending order, based on number of responses).
  • It appears that the top Objects are those that are atomic in nature (e.g., Address) and/or are used in the sharing of Indicator data (along with having the potential for being useful in other use cases). This also corresponds with the large number of network-related Objects in the top percentile.
  • Objects commonly associated with malware artifacts (e.g., Mutex, Win Executable File Object, Win Event Log) had a fairly strong showing.
  • Objects with very few responses appear to trend towards being more esoteric system objects (e.g., Semaphore, Win Mailslot, Win Waitable Timer).
Also, it’s worth noting that this was meant to be a very informal survey, to give us some idea of which Objects are most commonly used by the broader CybOX community. Therefore, while these results will help us prioritize which Objects may get focused on initially for updates/tweaks/specifications/etc., they are not meant to directly drive larger decisions such as the deprecation of specific Objects.

Object Count % of Total Responses
Address Object 27 69.23
Domain Name Object 26 66.67
Email Message Object 24 61.54