Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] IP Address Notation (or: I Love CIDR When It's Talking About More Than One IP Address)

I agree 100% that the spec itself should have ABNF in it and do it for each field type. It's the de facto standard for RFCs.

Whether or not individual libraries use ABNF validation methods (highly unlikely) isn't relevant.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Trey Darley ---01/21/2016 07:25:14 AM---On 18.01.2016 12:01:40, Mark Davidson wrote: >Trey Darley ---01/21/2016 07:25:14 AM---On 18.01.2016 12:01:40, Mark Davidson wrote: >

From: Trey Darley <trey@soltra.com>
To: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
Cc: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@Specere.org>, Paul Patrick <ppatrick@isightpartners.com>, Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>, "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>, "Foley, Alexander - GIS" <alexander.foley@bankofamerica.com>
Date: 01/21/2016 07:25 AM
Sent by: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

On 18.01.2016 12:01:40, Mark Davidson wrote:

> Would it make sense to start a spec type document so that these
> conversations can be tracked there? IMO something like the twigs
> document but for CybOX (or even do these in the twigs document, then
> decide the tearline between STIX/CybOX later on would be fine). Just
> so long as we have text that we are continually updating as progress
> toward a spec I think we will be in good shape.

Excellent feedback, Mark, spot-on! Ivan and I are currently discussing
how we can most effectively pivot from Github wiki pages focused on
proposals around specific issues to something more like a
comprehensive draft spec. Both the STIX and TAXII SCs have set a good
example for us to follow; the major outstanding question is how to
deal with the nascent cti-common schema/library for constructs that
span multiple CTI standards.

https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/wiki/CybOX-3.0:-Address-Object-Refactoring#ipv4-address-object---option-1.
> If that’s not the right one, my comment should still be applicable
> to whatever we’re doing.
>
> Presuming we go with the optional /32, I would offer this text as a start:
>
> Field Name: ipv4_address
> Type: string
> address or a range of IP addresses, respectively. The accept syntax
> defines a required IP address (e.g., 1.2.3.4) with an optional
> subnet mask (e.g., /32). Omitted subnet masks MUST be interpreted as
> “/32”.

Thanks for the draft normative text, Mark! (Ivan and I appreciate all
the help we can get!)

> Accept syntax: (Are we doing ABNF or regex for this? The regex for
> IPs / CIDR blocks is kind of ugly:

http://blog.markhatton.co.uk/2011/03/15/regular-expressions-for-ip-addresses-cidr-ranges-and-hostnames/)

My preference would definitely be for ABNF (for field-level
validation) but we should use the same approach for all the standards.
Anybody strongly *opposed* to ABNF?

--
Cheers,
Trey