Subject: RE: [cti-cybox] Recent CybOX Changes

I don't like the idea of converting strings into an object with the string and encoding since in many cases that information will simply not be present, and when it is present it will be difficult to correctly utilize in this format.

I could see an analyst being interested in being able to ask a question like, "Get me all PDFs in my system that have character encoding X that were attachments to emails with character encoding Y."

The way this type of format would force a user to system to store information to answer that question would require all value dictionaries to be queried independently regardless of type.  While some of the less precise solutions that have been proposed seem like they would be easier to implement, less prone to bad data and faster to query.

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/DCCI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer Scientist
Defense Cyber Crime Institute
jeffrey.mates@dc3.mil
410-694-4335

-----Original Message-----
From: cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Kirillov, Ivan A.
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 9:11 AM
To: Jason Keirstead; John-Mark Gurney
Cc: Allan Thomson; Wunder, John A.; Back, Greg; cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [cti-cybox] Recent CybOX Changes

>> But, *when* is it appropriate? Why would this be useful to anyone...

My understanding of this concept (which may be a bit superficial, granted) is that observed string encoding is useful in certain cases, e.g. comments and metadata in word docs and pdf files, as well as strings in binaries in general, where knowing the encoding is a valuable data point. Accordingly, it can be used to link together adversary TTPs.

That said, I agree that our current approach is probably too heavyweight and encompassing. What we need to do is gain a better understanding of exactly where this would be used (e.g., which fields in the CybOX data model really require the capture of observed encoding) and go from there. This likely requires some SME input, so I’m going to reach out to some folks to see if they can help elucidate. If we can’t get clarity, then maybe it’s not something we need in the MVP.

Anyhow, I’m heading out to BH/DC today and Trey is going to be out starting later this week, so let’s table this discussion for next week :-)

Regards,

Ivan