Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Network flow object suggestions

I see two problems with this approach

- It will create a huge amount of bloat to have to define a Cybox object for every IP involved in a DDOS, which routinely number in the thousands to tens-of-thousands. If every one is wrapped in an object, you're talking about a very large amount of graph objects that actually do not deserve to be TLOs.

- You can't use this method to describe port scans, as there is no "Port" object.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Terry MacDonald ---08/29/2016 11:35:23 PM---Hi Ivan, IMHO the network connection object should model Terry MacDonald ---08/29/2016 11:35:23 PM---Hi Ivan, IMHO the network connection object should model what a network connection

From: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@cosive.com>
To: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
Cc: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>, Bret Jordan <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Date: 08/29/2016 11:35 PM
Sent by: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Ivan,

IMHO the network connection object should model what a network connection can do. And that is a single host sending to a single destination address (be that a multicast address or broadcast address).

To describe a DDoS we have seen we can use the ObservedData object containing a Network Connection object that describes an example of the traffic with a count to describe the number of times it was seen, and also containing a list of IP address objects that were also seen sending traffic the same as the example network connection. We could then use CybOX relationships to join those the IP addresses with the network connection object.

We don't necessarily require another DDoS object if we have the right CybOX relationships created.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald | Chief Product Officer

M: +64 211 918 814
E: terry.macdonald@cosive.com