Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Network Connection Object TCP Extension

Just as a point of fact (understanding full well that many of our use cases are not typical):  We captured, processed, and stored 2-4 TerraBytes of External Ingress/Egress Raw Packet Data every day.  As anyone who has dealt directly with entrenched Determined Adversaries can tell you, investigations, forensics collection/analysis, reporting, etc. for a given event can extend from months to years.   This is a massive amount of data that requires a lot of analysis to narrow it to manageable levels.  A single 1 TB LT-05 tape of raw packet data took 4 hours just to initially re-process (locally with high speed DAS/NAS storage).

Metadata drives effective analysis.  Sharing of same drives effective community analysis.  Along with the practical/physical limits of sharing raw packet data once you get to Enterprise scale, there are a number of Employee/Customer Privacy, IP Protection, and Confidentiality considerations when sharing raw packet data.   Where we do share this data once vetted (which can take quite a bit of time) the metadata helps us isolate which packets are relevant.

Again, understand this represents only a small overall portion of the community.  However, 10GBs to 40Gbs pipes in our network cores and cloud infrastructures are increasingly the norm for many larger organizations.

Patrick Maroney
President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
Desk: (856)983-0001
Cell: (609)841-5104
Email: pmaroney@specere.org