Subject: RE: [cti-cybox] Network Connection Object

The terminology of network "flow" is used beyond just Netflow/IPFIX and the 7 tuple.

Many products monitor and report on Layer 7 network flows, and describe them in that terminology.

--
Sent from my mobile device, please excuse any typos.

Back, Greg --- RE: [cti-cybox] Network Connection Object ---

From:"Back, Greg" <gback@mitre.org>
To:"Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
Cc:"Allan Thomson" <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>, "OASIS CTI TC CybOX SC list" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:Fri, Sep 2, 2016 4:05 PM

I think the current object has grown too large and covers too many not-entirely-compatible use cases. I support a Network Flow object, but feel it should be trimmed down to the information typically available in netflow-style output. As it is, the combinations of which properties should (or should not) be used together are not sufficiently specified IMO. I also support further breaking up the Network Connection object, but that's perhaps another issue.

Greg