Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [cti-cybox] File/Artifact Encryption & Archive Properties

On 12.10.2017 15:46:28, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I don't see how adding encryption_algorithm and decryption_key to a
> sample helps anyone.
>
> As has been pointed out many times - this is not enough information
> for a consumer to do anything with whatsoever regarding the sample.

All day, every day malware researchers share samples around in
encrypted zip files. Countless emails fly across the wire along the
lines of, "Hey, have a look at this, let me know what you think. The
password is 'infected'."

That's precisely the use case we're attempting to address with the
proposed changes to the Artifact object. Please help me understand why
that's so complicated to do this in STIX.

If our proposed approach for sharing defanged malware samples is truly
unworkable, as an alternative I suggest adding an optional boolean
property to the Artifact object `is_rot13`. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Trey