Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: [sacm] Mind Mapping

Hi all - after getting the OK, I have created a high level overview of our own internal data model (extracted from a relational database then edited) of assets and vulnerability instances based on how it is modeled in our own software. I do this not to prescribe - but to attempt to inform the conversation - as to some of the things that may need to be considered when modeling IT assets.

Some caveats:

- I have purposefully deleted many other references to object types (mostly surrounding vulnerabilities and scanning) that I don't think are relevant to the STIX conversation at this point

- The "xref" intermediary objects obviously would not exist in STIX, as they aren't required in a true graph model. However they make the model easier to understand so I left them in there.

- There are obviously many more things to be considered than exist here, as the below is currently IPV4/IPv6 centric (not yet taking into account mobile as an example).

Explained in prose:

- An IT asset may have affiliated with it one or more product variants. A product variant is a specific instance of a product, which may be either an operating system instance or an application instance or a firmware instance.
- Those product variants may have one or more vulnerabilities affiliated with them.
- The asset also has a series of hardware interfaces, each of which has a series of one or more IP addresses (this is where the model needs to extend to include other Layer 3 protocols beyond IP).
- The address and interface combination may be affiliated with product variant instances via open TCP or UDP ports, each of which may or may not have affiliated vulnerabilities exposed on those specific instances of the ports.
- The asset may also has a series of affiliated users, which may have one or more account aliases. ** At this point, all of User Identity modeling may come into play.
- The asset may also be present in one or more logical asset groupings (ie NetBIOS group, LDAP group, etc).

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Jason Keirstead---07/12/2016 01:07:24 PM---I still feel quite strongly that any model which derrives Jason Keirstead---07/12/2016 01:07:24 PM---I still feel quite strongly that any model which derrives Threat Actors from Assets is going to lose