Subject: CTI v2.0 Information Elements Naming Conventions

Hi,

This has probably been already discussed somewhere at some point, but
I think it is critically important to make sure we do have consensus
on this.

Example given for illustrating the potential issue:

Current STIX v2.0 CORE Draft 1
7.3. External Reference
7.3.1. Properties

Property Name: source (required)
Type: string
(system, registry, organization, etc.).

This property name "source" is in collision with the STIX object/type
name "Source" (Ref. STIX 2.0 Objects, 1.10. Source).

I do understand the intent of simplification.
However, I think we need to be careful and find good balance and
appropriate naming convention for our Information Elements (IEs).

Just for example/illustration, inspired from IPFIX (and SACM):

1.       Names SHOULD be descriptive

2.       Names MUST be unique within the CTI registry.
Enterprise-specific names SHOULD be prefixed with a vendor name.

3.       Names MUST start with lowercase letters

4.       Composed names MUST use capital letters for the first letter
of each part (e.g. sourceMacAddress)

JA: I'm not a fan of 3.), but of the others.

This is open to discussion.
(And I will be happy as long I can catch a pikatchu in the pokemonWorld)