Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX 2.1 discussion

I would disagree. We had confidence in STIX v1.x without digital signatures, and it worked ok. We urgently need to give content creators the ability to convey how confident they are that their threat intel assertion is true. It is the only way that consumers will be able to make their own decisions about whether to believe the assertion(s) they have received, or to ignore them. This is also critical to enable decisions to be made on how to use the threat intel.

Additionally, understanding what the other sharing community members think of particular threat intelligence assertions is key too. Threat Intel Analysts are rare. Not every organization will have access to them. We need to give organizations the ability to receive guidance from other organizations they trust to enable them to better protect themselves. We need the ability for community members to tell others that they think a threat intel assertion is good or bad. Other Organizations with new analysts, or no analysts will then be able to learn from these assertions who to trust... effectively crowdsourcing their knowledge from the opinions of others.

If I am a consumer and I see that there are a lot of opinion objects from community members disagreeing with Threat Intel from Vendor A, then I am less likely to trust what they say. If there are opinion objects from community members agreeing with Vendor B's threat intel, then I am more likely to trust what they say.

Both Confidence and the Opinion object will have a profound effect on how people will use their threat intel, and on whose threat intel they trust.

If I have received a low confidence domain name indicator associated with a threat actor I care about, but I don't trust the content creator very much, I am not likely to block it on the firewall, but I might be likely to add it to my IDS sensor alert.

If I have a high confidence domain name indicator associated with a threat actor I care about, from a content creator I do trust highly, then I am more likely to throw it in my firewall block list, or in my DNS RPZ blocklist.

This can all happen without Digital Signatures, as the sharing communities now do the same thing between organizations they trust over email. Digital signatures only become important when we try to do this over open, public, unvetted sharing communities. And while these communities are needed eventually, they are not needed now. Which is why I believe digital signatures can wait for STIX 2.2.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald | Chief Product Officer