Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Use of well_known

To play devil's advocate - you are only guaranteed to not have a collision, if people are actually following the RFC and reserving the space. But since hardly anyone seems to implement this RFC, I would argue that the space is not actually being actively reserved, and thus you are just as likely to have a collision as with any other URI space.

In doing research for this, I also see really strange things being done with it that give me great pause. For example, look at how CalDAV recommends it's users configure ".well-known". This would make it actually impossible for a TAXII server to reside on the same host as a CalDAV server.

https://wiki.davical.org/index.php/Well-known_URLs

#Activate RewriteEngine
RewriteEngine On
# Redirect /.well-known URLs
RewriteRule ^/\.well-known/(.*)$ /caldav.php/.well-known/$1 [NC,L]
# Optionally: redirect /principals/users/ as well
RewriteRule ^/principals/users/(.*)$ /caldav.php/$1 [NC,L]

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Dave Cridland ---10/11/2016 09:54:48 AM---In fairness, the robots.txt file was in use nearly two decaDave Cridland ---10/11/2016 09:54:48 AM---In fairness, the robots.txt file was in use nearly two decades before .well-known came along, so exp

From: Dave Cridland <dave.cridland@surevine.com>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: "Bret Jordan (CS)" <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 10/11/2016 09:54 AM

In fairness, the robots.txt file was in use nearly two decades before .well-known came along, so expecting that to move is unlikely. But every standards-track document since requiring a well-known URI has used the .well-known prefix, including those from the IETF and W3C as well as other documents from EFF, Google, etc.

The reasoning is that it avoids any potential collision. While I don't know of any reason we're likely to hit a collision with "taxii", I also don't think it's reasonable to assume that nobody else will ever use that prefix - and we certainly cannot enforce it in any way.

As to Bret's comment that it adds an additional layer of indirection, I don't follow this - it's simply a different string. I did suggest adding some text about following redirections, but that applies equally to a "/taxii" or "/.well-known/taxii" URI path.