cti message

Subject: Next steps on sending STIX and TAXII to ITU-T (was) ... [cti] Groups - Ballot closed: ...

Dear CTI TC:

Thanks for your successful ballot regarding the submission of STIX v2.1 and TAXII v2.1 to ITU-T through its Study Group 17. We appreciate all of your hard work on these specifications, and also your guidance on this submission. OASIS has a long and successful history of sharing cybersecurity standards with ITU-T. As you may know, Study Group 17 has expressed interest in also supporting STIX and TAXII.

Our process for handling submissions is outlined in our Liaison Policy (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison/#submitwork). Section 3 of the relevant rule ("Submission request processing") spells out 7 steps; we're in the 15 day period described in Step 2. The OASIS President, typically represented by staff, will confirm the next steps within that time frame. Following that, we expect to post a proposed disposition to the OASIS membership for 30 days, for member comment, before sending the specification forward. Â(See Steps 2 and 3.) ÂÂ

As in the original 2016 approval of STIX v1.2.1 and TAXII v.1.1.1, this submission has an unusual aspect: Âthere are atypical license reservations imposed by the original contributor which do not conform to our IPR Policy's prohibition of trademark reservations. (That rule can be found here: Âhttps://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr/#s5.3  The atypical license restrictions can be seen here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cti/ipr.php)

That is why final approval of the original 2016 versions required a vote of our OASIS Board of Directors to waive the IPR Policy's TM rules. The current 2022 submission of versions 2.1 will require a similar waiver, unless the TM restrictions are relaxed. We will discuss the latter with the appropriate stakeholders. However, in any case, we expect that our Board will be required to vote on this matter, before any submission to ITU-T is finalized. We'll propose a timeline for that in our next notice.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We'll post more information on those plans and dates by the end of next week.

Respectfully. Jamie Clark

James Bryce Clark

General Counsel

OASIS Open

jamie.clark@oasis-open.org
Xing  LinkedIn  Twitter
Setting the standard for open collaboration