cxs message

Subject: Workgroup 3 update

Hi folks,

Here’s a status update following our meeting today. We worked mostly on a generic query endpoint, trying to leave it as open-ended as possible without having to specify an actual query language. However, an argument could be made that this endpoint doesn’t bring any value to the standard since it is not specified (i.e. the actual query and results would have implementation-specific formats) and would presumably be optional. We therefore raise the question of whether such an endpoint should be included in the standard at all.

Another issue was whether to use POST or GET methods for queries in the endpoint. We settled on using POST which, after consideration make sense (if your resource is “queries” then, POST with data allows you to “create” a query).

Here are some links on the issue:
https://evertpot.com/dropbox-post-api/ (this one mentions the REPORT method which I wasn’t aware of)
Roy Fielding’s point of view on the question (via SO): http://stackoverflow.com/a/983458
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5020704/how-to-design-restful-search-filtering
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14202257/design-restful-query-api-with-a-long-list-of-query-parameters

More generally speaking, here’s a useful resource for pragmatic RESTful API design:
http://www.vinaysahni.com/best-practices-for-a-pragmatic-restful-api

The git repository has been updated.

Best,
Chris (for workgroup 3)