Subject: Re: [dita-adoption] Groups - Understanding Scoped Keys in DITA 1.3 uploaded

A couple of comments about the article, which I think is overall very good:

In general, the terminology uses confuses "key scopes" and "key spaces". I realize that the distinction between the two concepts is subtle, but it's certainly something that we've worked hard to clearly delineate in the 1.3 spec. According to the spec, we define the two terms in the following ways in 2.3.4.1 Core concepts for working with keys:

key space
A list of key definitions that are used to resolve key references.

key scope
A map or section of a map that defines its own key space and serves as the resolution context for the its key references.

So given the following paragraph from the article:

Keys are scoped by virtue of being defined within a specific key space. The mechanism for defining a key space is simple. DITA 1.3 includes a new attribute,
keyscope, which defines a given "section" of a map as a key space. This section can be the root map, a sub-map, a mapref, a topichead, a topicgroup, oor even an individual topicref, as shown in the following simple map:

I'd suggest that it be rewritten as follows:

A key scope defines its own key space. The mechanism for defining a key scope is simple. DITA 1.3 includes a new attribute, keyscope, which defines a given "section" of a map as a key scope. This section can be the root map, a sub-map, a mapref, a topichead, a topicgroup, or even an individual topicref, as shown in the following simple map:

A few more specific comments:
  • Top of page 10: Change the verb defined to "resolved"
  • Page 11: Do not reference the version of the DITA 1.3 spec on the oXygen Web site; please reference the draft spec at OASIS.

Best,
Kris

Kristen James Eberlein
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee