dita-busdocs message

Subject: help provide a starter set of DTDs and constraints

In the TC, we're working through our analysis of what people really mean
when they say that "DITA is too complex". That wiki page is at
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Perceptions

At the bottom is a matrix of identified issues and proposed solutions.

Under the rather mushy category "General perception of complexity" no
proposal was given. Issues 11 and 18 there may be amenable to the
Adoption TC providing a starter set of DTDs and constraints, and a list
of constrained doctypes, or a model for them. TC members would have to
produce and own these.   Because of work that we have done on this SC,
it was thought that members of this SC would be able to and would like
to contribute to this effort.

Here's the relevant section of today's TC minutes:

2. ITEM: Triage of DITA complexity list and potential solutions
   * Wiki page: "What do people (really) mean when they say "DITA is too
complex"?

General perception of complexity
> Issues 9 and 21 seem to be Adoption issues. Work on constraints and
simplified types addresses issues 11 and 18. The TC can provide a
starter set of DTDs and constraints for the Adoption TC to present and
promote. This has been discussed in the BusDocs SC.  There are questions
of fit to that SC's scope and charter. What is needed is a list of
constrained doctypes, or a  model for them. Activities include bouncing
initial design models off constituencies, including users in different
domains, and including the BusDocs SC. We need someone to own and
project-manage this. Michael and Don are interested in participating as
a skunkworks activity within the TC. Members of the TC and of the
BusDocs SC are solicited to participate and perhaps own.

ACTION (Bruce): Ask members of the Business Documents SC to help provide