Subject: FW: Declaration of "xml" namespace in commonElementMod.xsd incompatible with Microsoft XML technologies...

I’m passing this along on behalf of a colleague:

In the DITA 1.2 XSDs, commonElementMod.xsd was changed to declare the "xml" namespace.  This change causes problems when using Microsoft XML processor technologies.  Neither MSXML nor .NET will load commonElementMod.xsd or documents referencing this schema.  Instead, a parse error is reported to the effect that “The namespace prefix is not allowed to start with the reserved string "xml".  At line(24), column(56).”

Microsoft’s interpretation of Namespace constraint: Reserved Prefixes and Namespace Names ends up that “nobody” can explicitly declare the “xml” namespace.  Given the MS technology has been this way a long time and thus unlikely to change anytime soon, I recommend removing the xml namespace declaration in commonElementMod.xsd schema so DITA 1.2 content can be parsed by MS technologies.

Regards,

Addam Smith

JustSystems

Su-Laine Yeo