Subject: Question about the "passthrough" specified for attributes in DITAVAL

Hi,

This question is based on the following DITA Users List discussion:

As a recap:

Sometimes it would be interesting that if you mark a certain DITA element with a profiling attribute like:

that attribute would become part of the XHTML output allowing users to use Javascript and CSS to dynamically change the page based on the user's role for example.

Michael Priestley suggested that if in the DITAVAL filter file you would use something like this:

<val>
    <prop action="passthrough" att="audience"/>
</val>

this could be accomplished.

I'm not sure how to interpret the "action='passthrough'" based on the specification:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/ditaval-prop.html#ditaval-prop

Should the attribute be preserved and then transferred to the output format as possibly an XHTML "data-" attribute or should it be just preserved in the processing stages before the output is constructed?

As far as I remember we received from several users in the past questions about this usecase of somehow passing profiling attributes from DITA to the XHTML output in order to dynamically change the page based on user role.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu
http://www.oxygenxml.com