Subject: Comments on Ditaval and Ditavalref in DITA 1.3 spec

A number of comments on filtering in the DITA 1.3 spec:

----------------

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/csprd01/part2-tech-content/contentmodels/cmtcd.html#cmtcd__ditavalref

How can a <ditavalref/> specified for an entire bookmap? At present it seems only possible for different child elements of the bookmap, but not the entire bookmap (which I think would be my first use case).

----------------

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/csprd01/part2-tech-content/archSpec/base/usage-of-conditional-processing-attributes.html#usage-of-conditional-processing-attributes

Near the beginning of this topic, a brief sentence explaining the purpose/use case of groups would be helpful to the novice.

Near the end of the topic, a very small but complete example with grouped attributes and DITAVAL would help the novice. To me this whole topic actually only became clear after reading the topic afterwards.

----------------

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/csprd01/part2-tech-content/archSpec/base/filtering.html#filtering

For completeness sake, in the first ordered list, add a third bullet point about what happens when the attribute is empty.

----------------

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/csprd01/part2-tech-content/langRef/base/ditavalref.html#ditavalref

Before the second example it says:

“In the following branch, assume alternate rules are specified for the condition audience="novice". In that case, the condition specified in highLevel.ditaval takes precedence and so applies to the entire branch.”

If highLevel.ditaval has a generic rule such as <prop att="audience" action="" (which does not explicitly list the value “novice” ) -- does this still have precedence?

----------------

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/csprd01/part2-tech-content/langRef/ditaval/ditaval-val.html#ditaval-val

The note at the end of the figure says:

Note: If two groups with the same name exist on different attributes, each group will evaluate the same way. For example, rules for the database group in this sample would evaluate the same whether the group is used within @product or @platform. See Conditional processing (profiling) for suggestions on how to handle similar groups on different attributes.

It seems to me that the same <val> syntax is used for two distinct cases. Would it not be sounder and less problematic to differentiate the syntax when defining rules for groups as compared to simple attributes?

For example, use

<prop action="" att="product" group="database" val="dbFIRST"/>

instead of

<prop action="" att="database" val="dbFIRST"/>

Also, I don’t see why having the same groups across different attributes would need to be supported.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/csprd01/part2-tech-content/langRef/ditaval/ditaval-prop.html#ditaval-prop

The third bullet point says “A <prop> element with an @att attribute and a @value attribute sets an action for that value within that attribute.”  The last part “within that attribute” is not true if a group is being specified (at least unless my suggestion in the previous comment is taken up).

Further down, section “Attributes”, when defining the attribute @val: Worth mentioning that @val only takes a single value and not space separated list of values? Or, if my interpretation is wrong, state the opposite.

Richard Forster

Information Architect, Global Publication Support Services

Varian Medical Systems Imaging Lab GmbH

Täfernstrasse 7

CH-5405 Baden-Dättwil