Subject: Interaction of "processing" and "translation" attribute

Dear DITA TC,

I'm unsure about the interaction of the "processing" and the "translation" attributes. I had a discussion with one of our DITA tool vendors, and we interprete the specification differently.

Consider a <keydef>:

<keydef keys="foo" href="">

Our DITA tool vendor says, a <keydef> is resource-only and resource-only "things" should not be translated. I assumed, that the "resource-only" would not affect translations. I could not find a statement in the specs that determines that. I expected, that, by default, a <keydef> should be processed like any other element, so it should be "translated", unless translate="no" is set.

So I expected, that, if I'd like to avoid the translation of a <keydef> referenced topic, I would explicitely need to write:

<keydef keys="foo" href="" translate="no"/>

Could you please clarify?

Thank you and best regards,

Stefan Eike