Subject: Re: [dita-comment] Small issues with the DITA standard

Hi Derek,

Specialized DITA editing tools can and do insert automatically this required content when using specialized actions to insert a conref/conkeyref. But end users can still edit in plain XML editing mode and encounter this problem.

About your remark:

As I see it, this is really an XML requirement. Without required content a validating XML parser will flag documents like this as invalid of course.
Relaxing the DITA standard to allow for invalid structures in a document (like your example that has a table element without any children) would make DITA a standard that doesn't follow the XML Recommendation. Right?

The imposed structure for elements which have the @conref attribute is not a requirement coming from the generic XML standard, it is a requirement coming from the schemas (DTDs, XML Schemas, Relax NG schemas) used for validation, schemas which are built by the DITA TC in according to the DITA specification. With Relax NG for example you can specify that if an element has a certain attribute, it no longer needs to have a certain content model. So you can state in Relax NG that if the <table> element has a @conref attribute, it no longer has <tgroup> as a required element. Indeed this dependency of the element's content model on a certain attribute set on it cannot be expressed with DTD and XML Schemas. I also understand this idea in the DITA standard that if the @conref cannot be resolved the publishing should fallback to the original element content which indeed makes the current behavior required and something which cannot be changed in a future release.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu
http://www.oxygenxml.com