Subject: Fwd: [dita-busdocs] FW: [dita-help] Upcoming Meeting

I'm copying this reply to Bruce since it appears that DITA Help subcommittee may be operating under some misconceptions. I don't know whether that's actually the case, but if it is we'll need to sort this out.

Regards,

Mary

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Date: March 30, 2010 6:13:42 PM EDT
To: Bruce Nevin (bnevin) <bnevin@cisco.com>
Bcc: Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Subject: Re: [dita-busdocs] FW: [dita-help] Upcoming Meeting

Hi Bruce,

Sorry, but that doesn't work.

 For any committee there is a unique membership associated with that committee, IPR obligations incurred, and a full record of meetings, conversations and work products to be maintained. That work can't be shared across two committees; it's either one or the other. The Adoption TC could also create a busdocs subcommittee but it would report to the Adoption TC rather than the DITA TC. Liaisons are established at the committee level.

 The difficulty arises when a subcommittee tries to take on the characteristics of a committee. A subcommittee is really nothing more than a working sub-group of the main committee that is typically focused on a particular subset of the work of that committee. All members of a subcommittee must be members of the committee, and all approvals happen at the committee level.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
twitter: @fiberartisan  #oasisopen
phone: 1.603.232.9090

Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.