Subject: Proposed statement of purpose and deliverables for new DITA Adoption Help Subcommittee

Good day all.

Tony asked me to take the lead in forming our new Help subcommittee for the DITA Adoption committee. I raised this issue at the last DITA Adoption committee meeting, and it was well received. As part of the process, we need to bring forth a statement of purpose and list of deliverables for the new subcommittee that the full committee can vote to approve. Using some content from the original DHSC submission that Tony provided, I’ve put together the following proposed purpose and deliverables.

Please have a look at these and let me know what you think. The DITA Adoption committee meets again this coming Monday before our next meeting.  If we can come to agreement on this on the email list, I can go ahead and make the formal proposal to form the subcommittee at that meeting. Otherwise, we can discuss on Monday and wait for the next DITA Adoption committee meeting.

Regards.

Chris Goolsby

PTC

Statement of Purpose

·         Promote the use of DITA for the authoring of help systems and user assistance content.

·         Develop  white papers, cook books, worked examples, and similar documentation to help remove the obstacles to effective use of DITA for help systems and user assistance.

·         Develop guidelines that promote best practices for applying standard DITA approaches to help systems and user assistance content.

·         Develop informal support for processing DITA for delivery as help systems and user assistance.

List of Deliverables

·         White papers, cook books, worked examples, best practices and similar documentation to assist with using DITA for help systems and user assistance content

·         A high-level processing model that defines the standard use of DITA for help systems and user assistance content

Proposed Chair

Tony Self