Subject: RE: [dita-help] Help Features in DITA 1.3

There's precedent, and a philosophical basis, for putting
publication-specific stuff in the map and retaining the
output-neutrality of topics.

We on the BusDocs SC have been wrestling with user demand for a
simplified authoring environment that presents topics aggregated as a
single monolithic document. If we use ditabase for that, we face some
thorny issues of persisting features of the map that are not supported
in ditabase (grouping elements, topichead, anchor/anchorref, attributes
in topicmeta, and the like). What if topics are moved, deleted, and
inserted? Are embedded topics round tripped as nested topicref or as
references to submaps?

OLH of course is nonlinear (except for its ToC) but it is often
single-sourced with conventional, linear document renditions, and some
of the user base may have the same preference for a more traditional
authoring environment without a map editor.

So by a roundabout way comes the suggestion that any help-specific stuff
that we put in the map may need to be thought about in ditabase as well.

	/B