Subject: 26 Oct 2006 Minutes

The minutes have been posted. They are repeated here for your convenience.

Best wishes,

Bruce Esrig

============

DITA Learning Content SC Meeting minutes

Date:  Thursday, 26 October 2006
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Minutes by Bruce Esrig

Agenda:

1) Roll-call, welcome, and introduction of new members, observers, and
guests

2) Review and approval of the minutes.
[ No quorum, so this was deferred. ]

See
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20768/learningSCmeeting061012.txt
and
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20769/learningSCmeeting061019.txt

3) Business
a) Announcements - JoAnn to speak at upcoming online forum on e-
Learning.
b) Status check and planning next steps.

Karen Ziech: what is the significance of a decision?
John Hunt: The subcommittee prepares information to submit to the DITA
TC. After review, the information gets proposed by the DITA TC to the
OASIS community.

Karen Z: What is our definition of a learning object? We write in order
to support the work that people do.
John Hunt: Suggest another bullet item for working assumptions,
perhaps.
Karen: Would we want to call the result a performance object?
Paul Barley: Would the term "performance" interfere with the idea of
gaining conceptual info, such as a methodology?
Karen Z: The learning is for the purpose of performing something.
Julia Cronin: We do task analysis. We analyze what you do, and what you
need to know in order to do that. Workflows link back to the requisite
knowledge.
John Hunt: The results of a side discussion (Karen Z, Paul Barley,
Julia C) could help strengthen the working assumptions.
Action item: Karen Ziech will convene a discussion on revising the
working assumptions.

Discussion of the strawman proposals in
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-learningspec/200610/msg00013.html

* (Proposal 1) Do we have general consensus on a top-level model?

* (Proposal 2) Can we state an initial set of information types for
RIOs and structures for organizing them?

Greg Devore: How does nesting work?
Greg: How to represent reusable learning objects.
Bruce Esrig: The DITA convention is to use maps for organizing and to
use topics for containing information to deliver.
Paul B: We are not prevented from nesting topics; it's a choice.
Julia C: Could you use metadata to specify that certain content is
detailed?
John Hunt: various ways to enable level of detail that is exposed.
Paul Barley: Could make exposure of information a programming feature.

* (Proposal 3) Develop a DITA map domain to define a set of specialized
DITA topicref elements, structured and sequenced to represent the
specific topic types used for a learning object.

John Hunt: Refer to Design patterns for information architecture with
DITA map domains, http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita7/

You can define a set of specialized elements that can be used across a
set of map domains.
Can define a learning object that can be included in a wide variety of
maps, not just in a learning map.

* (Proposal 4) We can define a specific map type specifically for
organizing content into lessons, modules, and courses.

Greg: This one seems well-accepted.

[ For proposals 5 and 6: ]

* Can we prioritize processing and deliverable targets (such as ILT,
web, e-learning, SCORM)?

* Can we develop an action plan for making decisions about SCORM,
navigation/sequencing, and QTI interactions?

* (Proposal 5) Align with SCORM as a delivery target

J Hunt: Defines a packaging model and a processing model. A SCORM
package is a ZIP file that contains a SCORM manifest file and a package
of content (typically HTML). The manifest points to the content in
various places, and it's possible to specify various forms of
interaction.

Greg: A learning management system would be able to open and run
packages that are developed in DITA.

J Hunt: A small set of minimal requirements. Launch a session and close
a session. Further optional features on how to track progress. We would
need to determine what level of detail to align with.

* (Proposal 6) Align with QTI

Mentioned but not discussed.