Subject: Groups - DITA Learning Content SC Meeting modified

DITA Learning Content SC Meeting has been modified by Scott Hudson

Date:  Thursday, 25 October 2007
Time:  All Day

Event Description:
USA Toll Free Number: 866-880-0098
USA Toll Number: +1-210-795-1100
Australia Toll Free Number: 1-800-993-862
Australia Toll Number: 61-2-8205-8112
PASSCODE: 6396088

For information on specific country access dialing, see http://www.mymeetings.com/audioconferencing/globalAccessFAQ.php.

Agenda:
See details agenda in our wiki -
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/25Oct2007Agenda

1) Status of the design and language specification - balloting and approvals

2. Approvals by the SC
    * learningPlan topic elements
    * learningOverview topic type elements
    * learningContent topic type elements
    * learningSummary topic type elements
    * learningAssessment topic type elements
    * learning map domain elements elements
    * learning interactions domain elements
    * learning metadata (IEEE LOM) elements

3. Status of Overview sections - John A. and Reuben T.

4. Review submission statement for DITA Proposed Feature #12058

5. Review Targets and status: Are we ready to submit our spec to the TC on Tuesday?

Minutes:
Attendees:
John Hunt
John Accardi
Scott Hudson
Reuben Tozman
Wayne Gafford

Eric Sirois has done a lot of work reviewing the schemas and found an issue with the overall DITA 1.1 schemas for how content can be specialized. The Learning SC design helped uncover this issue!

Scott mentioned TreeVision as a handy tool for reviewing the DTD. URL is: http://www.ovidius.com/treevision.html

Tyde Richards has been impacted by the fires in San Diego, and may not be able to review the submission prior to presenting to the TC. Tyde provided another contact from the SCORM committee that may be able to review in the meantime (Shawn).

The documents are now publicly viewable, so please send out for broader review! (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25806/learningsc_plugin.zip)

Wayne would still like to see a full example of content provided (full-blown course).

Reuben has taken real-world, story-boarded content against our content models and was happy with the results of mapping the specialization.

There are still some issues with page presentation, but that is really the second part of this effort (after the submission to the TC). Wayne has had experience with some of this from efforts of taking S1000D to Flash. This might provide a good road map to work from. There is nice reuse of format as well as the content.

We have received no "NO" votes on the initial submission ballot, so we are still planning to submit the specification to the DITA TC on Tuesday.

Reuben to finish some of the intro/assessment content and John Accardi to review and rework for tomorrow morning.

Wayne provided some comments on the DITA Proposed Feature #12058 regarding clarification of the problem statement.

Reuben also commented that some of the context about structured content is still needed, but agree that the problem statement should be "why DITA for learning".

Wayne commented that the problem is more when the technical content is created and the gap in the training materials (1-2 years!). The effects from these issues is also the problem. Should discuss how DITA helps solve this problem. Want to appeal to our intended audience about the issues they are also experiencing and how we can help them solve these using DITA.

What problems have been manifested due to a lack of structured content? The 4 items that are in the Overview section address these. Just need to rework the problem statement in the proposed feature doc.

Straw poll of those present was unanimous to put the specification forward to the DITA TC.

John H. will be presenting this to the DITA TC next Tuesday (11am Eastern). Please plan to attend and provide your support!

Motion to move the meeting time back to 11am Eastern on Thursdays. This time works better for everyone present on the call.

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Thursday, 04 October 2007, All Day
Thursday, 11 October 2007, All Day
Thursday, 18 October 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 01 November 2007, All Day
Thursday, 08 November 2007, All Day
Thursday, 15 November 2007, All Day
Thursday, 22 November 2007, All Day
Thursday, 29 November 2007, All Day
Thursday, 06 December 2007, All Day
Thursday, 13 December 2007, All Day
Thursday, 20 December 2007, All Day

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=16798

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20071025T000000Z
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20071025
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20071026
SEQUENCE:7
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nAustralia Toll Free Number: 1-800-993-862\nAustralia
  Toll Number: 61-2-8205-8112\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nFor information on
  specific country access dialing\, see
  http://www.mymeetings.com/audioconferencing/globalAccessFAQ.php.\n\nGroup:
  DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John
  Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=16798
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=16798
END:VEVENT