Subject: Feature Request: Fill-in-the-Blank Question Type

I have several clients that produce various types of learning content,
including textbooks and test prep documents. For the latter I developed
a proof-of-concept schema about 6 months ago that includes markup for
the test questions used in their test prep publications. There's a
pretty clean match between my original design (which was itself informed
by work I did many many years ago for Educational Testing Service when
we designed an SGML doctype for SAT test questions as well as work I did
for International Correspondence Schools for using SGML for their
correspondence and online training products).

Anyway, I found one big mismatch: fill-in-the-blank questions. My test
prep clients have only three types of assessment questions:

- Multiple choice

- True/false

- Open-ended ("essay questions")

- Fill-in-the-blank

However, I see that the current draft of the learning specialization
does not include fill-in-the-blank.

I would like to request that we add that.

For this particular client I think a DITA-based solution would otherwise
make perfect sense but the lack of a fill-in-the-blank specialization
would be a barrier.

The design I came up with for this client looks like this:

     <question>
       <q_statement>
0 is in which place?</p>
       </q_statement>
       <q_answer>
         <fill_in_blank>
           <q_solution>
             <values>
               <blank_value blank_id="q1-b1">answer 1</blank_value>
             </values>
           </q_solution>
         </fill_in_blank>
       </q_answer>
     </question>

I'm happy to take a stab at coming up with something that would be
consistent with the design of the other question types if there is not
already a proposal for this type of question in the works.

Thanks,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber