Subject: Re: [dita-learningspec] Technical Comments on March 8 LC Declarations

john_hunt@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Thanks, Elliot.
>
> These are very helpful comments. I generally agree with all of them - my
> comments and recommendations to the SC are below.

Cool.

> 3) Yes, I also agree on the learningBase. Do I understand correctly that
> removing the shell removes this as a possible topic type for authoring,
> but keeps it available as a base for additional topic specializations?
> Again, makes good sense, and this concern has come up in other comments.

The important thing is the module: that defines the topic type as a
component that can be extended or integrated. The shells are just
conveniences for users who want to get the package and start using it
immediately without first creating their own local shells.

Not providing a shell for learningBase means that it can't be used for
authoring out of the box and makes it clearer that the intent is that
it's just a base for further specialization. Of course, anyone could
construct their own shell for learningBase if they wanted to.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber