Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] Additional DITA Learning Plug-in Support- Output Formats

Hi:

<quote>
Some form of “PowerPoint like” slides for classroom usage.
</quote>

I second HTML Slidy. I would like to make a huge recommendation to support the open W3C presentation standard/tool HTML Slidy as a standard output:

www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/

Article:

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2006/04/html_slidy.html

It works as expected like PowerPoint or Impress during presentation, it uses XHTML for presentation, and it is cross-browser and cross-platform compliant. There is no dependency on a heavy, platform dependent application like PowerPoint to do the presenting.

I checked with dita-users and someone has tried to go from DITA to OpenOffice XML for Impress presentations, but they warned that the ODF XML syntax is really nasty and there are serious "gotchas". They did not recommend it. Before I saw HTML Slidy, I thought Impress might be the best open, cross-platform solution for classroom slides. I suspect that PowerPoint support would also be nasty.

In my mind, Slidy would conform well to the notion of a pure output from built content and do the job for slides on multiple platforms.

As a point of interest and full disclosure, Oracle University uses Linux in the classroom, so I admittedly have a vested interest in cross-platform support. PowerPoint output would be useless. In fact OU wants to drop PowerPoint as an authoring tool.

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle