Subject: Fw: [dita-learningspec] Groups - DITA Learning Content SC

Fyi, a new version of the XSD's is now available, from Eric Sirois, who will be at our meeting Thursday to answer all of your questions about them !

Hi John,

I just uploaded an updated version of the schema package that includes the XSDs for the Learning Specialization.

You can find it here: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/28350/xsd1.2-20080521.zip

There is one difference between the DTDs and the XSDs, one that should not be noticeable, is in the shell schema document for learningContent.xsd.  I can override the base *-info-types.  The XSD inheritance architecture will not let me do it.  Instead I placed the modifications in info-types.  It does the same thing as what is described in the DTDs, but simply goes about it in a different manner.

Take them for a spin.  As always, let me know is run into any issues.

Kind regards,
Eric

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - Information Development
DITA Migration and Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email:
esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841

Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document formats.

John Hunt/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS

05/20/2008 03:00 PM

Eric Sirois/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA@IBMUS
cc
"fred.evers@oracle.com" <fred.evers@oracle.com>, Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, "scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com" <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com>
Subject
RE: [dita-learningspec] Groups - DITA Learning Content SCLink

Eric and all -

I'll plan on making the agenda for Thursday a show-n-tell about the DTD and XSD designs. I'll setup an e-meeting, and can start with the DTD's first, and look to turn it over to you Eric for the XSD's.

And, Robert, if you can join the party, the more the merrier. I could actually use some help to get myself set up with using the 1.2 schemas in the OT.

Thanks much.

John

Hmm..looking at that documentation a bit more closely.  It seems a bit out-of-date.  Here is the entry that I have in my XMLSpy 2007 CustomCatalog.xml file.  It's a one liner. ;-)

<nextCatalog catalog="file://D:/xml/dita1.1/schema/catalog.xml"/>

You easily modify it for the location of the DITA XSD 1.2 catalog-dita.xml file.

Eric

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - Information Development
DITA Migration and Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email:
esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841

Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document formats.

Eric Sirois/Toronto/IBM

05/20/2008 11:45 AM

John Hunt/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS@IBMUS, Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, "scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com" <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com>
Subject
RE: [dita-learningspec] Groups - DITA Learning Content SCLink

Hi Fred,

 Are you having issues with the schema's from the xsd1.2-url folder or the xsd1.2 folder.  If the latter you will need to add the catalog-dita.xml file to XMLSpy's custom catalog file. Here's is a topic from the DITA-OT User Guide that will help configure XMLSpy [1].  The schemas contained in the xsd1.2-url folder do not require the use of the XML catalog.

If you are running into issues with either version of the schema, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Eric

[1] - http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/doc/ot-userguide13/xhtml/settingup/configuring_authoringtool.html

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - Information Development
DITA Migration and Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email:
esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841

Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document formats.

John Hunt/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS

05/20/2008 11:24 AM

"fred.evers@oracle.com" <fred.evers@oracle.com>, Eric Sirois/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM
cc
"scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com" <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com>
Subject
RE: [dita-learningspec] Groups - DITA Learning Content SCLink

Hi Fred -

Gee, fast checking when there's an empty folder, I guess!

The DITA 1.1 architectural spec provides some good background on the DTD and XSD designs.

        http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/archspec/archspec.html

And this section provides an overview of the XSD design:

        http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/archspec/schemamod.html

And to introduce Robert Anderson, who is the DITA OT architect responsible for everything, and Eric Sirois, who is the expert on the DITA XSD design.

Robert/Eric - I have several copies of the learning xsd's. Do we have a draft set ready? If so, we'd like to do some checking DTD against XSD, and Fred Evers has interest in learning about the XSD design.

On that - Eric & Robert - are you available to join our call Thursday 11 am ET?

If so, you could help answer some of the questions Fred has, and help us figure out the best way to check, as well as time-frames.

Thanks.

John