Subject: L&T Spec revisions on agenda 16 July 2009

Dear DITA Learning and Training content sub-committee,

In the past month or so, SC member Eliot Kimber has suggested a few spec revisions for us to consider, based on his recent experience using and implementing the draft DITA 1.2 Learning and Training specification.

Here's my summary of the three proposals Eliot has suggested in the email exchange, plus my comments.

These are on the agenda for discussion and consideration at the upcoming SC meeting on Thursday, July 16, 2009.

In considering these proposals, I think we do need to take into account the fact that a number of vendors and OASIS members have implemented draft support for the 1.2 specs, including the Learning and Training spec. So, any changes we consider need to be sensitive to the impact on this community.

1) LearningBase Requires learningBasebody: Should be optional  (E. Kimber)
See this email thread - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/email/archives/200906/msg00008.html

Proposal: Make the specialized body elements optional in each of the 5 learning topic types, plus the learningBase type.

John Hunt comment:
This can probably be defended as a fix, since with DITA 1.1, body is optional in the base topic types.

2) Design of Learning Map Topicrefs: Why NoSubordinate Refs? (E. Kimber)
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/email/archives/200907/msg00006.html

Proposal: Extend each of the specialized learning topicref's to allow nested topicref's of the same type and to set chunk to "to-content" by default.

a) set default for all learning topicrefs of chunk="to-content"
b) allow zero or more child elements of same specialize ref type. For example, for learningPreAssessmentRef:
  <!ELEMENT learningPreAssessmentRef ((%topicmeta;)?, (%learningPreAssessmentRef;)*)

John Hunt comments:
The current design places tight restrictions on the learning map to force a flat structure for topics in a learningObject. This is informed by restrictions and best practices for  SCORM content.

In IBM pilot experiences with a variety of learning and training content, after meeting some initial resistance, the topicref restriction has not been a problem.

Is this restriction something we can live with until 1.3?

3) Feedback for Matching Table Items (E. Kimber)
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/email/archives/200907/msg00003.html

Request to add a feedback element for specific lcMatchingPair items, in addition to the lcFeedback currently allowed for the matching table as a whole.

John Hunt comment:
I hesitate on this one, too. The 7 interactions in the learning domain really are a "starter set," and not expected to meet all possible needs. And we have only limited experience with processing for these interactions.

I suggest this also might be good to defer to 1.3, and encourage Eliot and others to contribute additional interactions as extensions to this domain in the meantime.

John

John Hunt
Chair, OASIS DITA Learning and Training Content sub-committee

IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com