Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] RE: Recruitment letter draft

DITA enthusiasts!

Please review this information by January 30.

Many thanks, A

From: Amber Swope [mailto:amber@ditastrategies.com]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 1:42 PM
To: 'dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org'

Per my action item, here are the drafts for the home page and the recruitment letter. Please improve as appropriate. Thanks, A

Home page:

The DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization subcommittee (SC)  is an official OASIS standards subcommittee of the OASIS DITA TC that develops support for DITA Learning & Training content structures and delivers the DITA Learning specialization. The goal is to provide support for developing educational content that meets diverse needs of education professionals.

We at the DITA Learning SC want to ensure that DITA Learning continues to remain vital by adapting to new environments and standards, responding to the changing needs of DITA Learning users, and growing the adoption of DITA Learning. Current activities include reviewing all the existing support DITA 1.3 and proposing improvements in the following areas of interest:

  • Learning and Training architecture, including schemas, specialization and documentation
  • Learning assessments and their components
  • Learning object and system-related metadata
  • Instructional design and learning objective management
  • Learning and Training support in authoring and content management tools
  • Learning and Training outputs, both in the DITA Open Toolkit, and elsewhere
  • Learning and Training adoption

If you would like to be a part of this effort, please join the subcommittee. We are looking for OASIS members who have experience with developing and delivering learning content. To join the DITA Learning SC, membership in OASIS is required. Check out https://www.oasis-open.org/join to learn more about joining OASIS.

Recruitment letter:

The DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization subcommittee (SC) is looking for new members. If you are education professional who develops or delivers learning content, join the subcommittee to improve the DITA Learning specialization. To learn more about the subcommittee and our work, check out the committee's public page at OASIS:

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita-learningspec

Joining the DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization SC  has several advantages for your company or organization:

  • Increase the visibility of your company in standards development.
  • Influence the DITA Learning standard to include the features or extensions your company needs.
  • Improve interoperability with other standards you use.

Joining also has these advantages for participating individuals:

  • Gain experience in specification and standards development.
  • Increase your visibility and credibility within your company.
  • Work with experts in markup languages.

The time commitment for members is not burdensome.  We meet every other week for an hour by teleconference, and perform various action items for research and development between meetings.  Because DITA Learning is a mature standard, we are mostly adding features, fixing bugs and researching related standards.  We respond to all Requests for Enhancement that are submitted.

To be an effective member of the SC, you will want to have experience with XML and DITA Learning, the more the better. Because the DITA Learning SC is part of the OASIS DITA Technical Committee, you must be an OASIS member. That can come in the form of a company membership or an individual membership.  If your company is a member of OASIS, it can designate employees to serve on OASIS committees.  If not, an individual can join and pay the annual dues of $335.