Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] DITA-to-SCORM Plugin Status

Thanks, Eliot.

I don't know which of the open source LMSs would be the best target. I'm
leaning toward having an XHTML WBT that folks that can run locally, but I
don't know what is involved for this type of transform.

Thanks, A

-----Original Message-----
From: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Eliot Kimber
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:23 AM
To: DITA Learning Spec list
Subject: [dita-learningspec] DITA-to-SCORM Plugin Status

I've found my ancient DITA-to-SCORM plugin. It was last worked on as an
example extension to the DITA for Publishers HTML2 transform.

It mostly just creates a SCORM package manifest and also does some
translation of interactions into HTML markup.

I also found my copy of John Hunt's original sample plugin, on which my work
was based.

One limitation of this plugin is that it assumes the use of
learning-specific map and topic types, which is annoying.

If I was going to develop this now I would base it on the D4P EPUB transform
where the infrastructure for producing SCORM-style packages is much more
complete.

For SCORM transform there are essentially three challeges:

1. Generating appropriate HTML for the learning content, including
generating the markup for interactions as expected by the delivering LMS.
2. Building the SCORM package. This is mostly about tedious record keeping
and data processing. The D4P EPUB plugin provides general facilities for
generating the required manifests.
3. Providing whatever is required by the target LMS, e.g., JavaScript etc.

Do we know of either an open-source LMS that we can target for demo purposes
or some body of Javascript that can be used to implement a simple LMS?

If we can cobble together some sort of LMS I could set up a Docker container
set that would make it easy to install and use.

It would be a really interesting engineering project but for myself I simply
don't have available time to do this by myself given my current client and
existing open-source commitments.

Cheers,

E.

--