Subject: HDITA and XDITA just got easier... I think?

Dear all,

As I was working on the outline for our LwDITA spec, I noticed in our current version we only have a generic topic. We are not, as you all probably know, pushing for default specialized content types. This means LwDITA does not come, in this first version, with concept, task, reference, troubleshooting, and glossary.
However, all our LwDITA examples so far (from the STC paper and our DITA NA presentations from 2015 and 2016) assume that in HDITA and MDITA there will be concept, task, and reference types... but... that would be a mess for XDITA. If there are no specialized types in the spec, then we do not need custom elements in HTML5, as Michael's original HDITA model uses existing HTML5 tags (article, section, ul, ol, etc.). Jarno’s plugins for XDITA and HDITA also assume we will have concept, task, and reference, but the implementation is problematic.
I present here a recipe for Marinara sauce (borrowed from a Sarah O'Keefe XML example) in what we currently have for XDITA, HDITA, and MDITA. As you can see, the markup is very simple in all cases, and then our concerns should be the following:
- Reuse for XDITA and HDITA... keys, conrefs... whatever we need
- Topic-level metadata (prolog equivalent) in XDITA and HDITA. I am using YAML headers in my examples, but Don pointed out that they duplicate the "title" element I already have in the H1. Should we use YAML or JSON?
- Specialization by template in the LwDITA model. We are only allowing that in XDITA, right??

This makes life way easier for HDITA and XDITA. Some people at conferences have asked me if LwDITA will allow any well-formed HTML5 or Markdown file to play as HDITA or MDITA, and I think we can propose that. Please let me know if this is crazy.

Here are the examples:

In XDITA,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD LW DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">
<topic id="t-marinara">
  <title>Marinara sauce</title>
  <prolog>
    <data>Some sort of metadata for author and type??? What is allowed in the XDITA prolog?</data>
  </prolog>

    <ul>
    </ul>

    <ol>
    </ol>

</topic>

------------------------
In HDITA,

---
author: Unknown
tags:
  - Italian
---

<article id="t-marinara">
<h1>Marinara sauce</h1>

<ul>
  <li>2 tbsp. of olive oil</li>
  <li>2 cloves of garlic, minced</li>
  <li>1/2 tsp. of hot red pepper</li>
  <li>28 oz. of canned tomatoes, preferably San Marzano</li>
  <li>2 tbsp. of parsley, chopped</li>
</ul>

<ol>
  <li>Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on medium</li>
  <li>Add garlic and hot red pepper and sweat until fragrant</li>
  <li>Add tomatoes, breaking up into smaller pieces</li>
  <li>Simmer on medium-low heat for at least 20 minutes</li>
  <li>Add parsley</li>
  <li>Simmer for another five minutes</li>
  <li>Serve over long pasta.</li>
</ol>

</article>

--------------------------------
In MDITA,

---
author: Unknown
tags:
  - Italian
---

# Marinara Sauce {#t-marinara}

Prepare a crowd-pleasing red sauce for pasta in about 30 minutes.

-   2 tbsp. of olive oil
-   2 cloves of garlic, minced
-   1/2 tsp. of hot red pepper
-   28 oz. of canned tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
-   2 tbsp. of parsley, chopped

1.   Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on medium
2.   Add garlic and hot red pepper and sweat until fragrant
3.   Add tomatoes, breaking up into smaller pieces
4.   Simmer on medium-low heat for at least 20 minutes
5.   Add parsley
6.   Simmer for another five minutes
7.   Serve over long pasta.

Best,

Carlos

--
Carlos Evia, Ph.D.
Director of Professional and Technical Writing