Subject: Some suggestions for WD 06

Hi Carlos, all,

After yesterday's meeting, I took a closer look to WD 06.
Although I am very in-experienced in writing this kind of papers, I have some remarks / additions, please feel free to use them to your liking.

--

2. Why Lightweight DITA?
A suggested answer to  John Hunt's questions:

"
The high-level features for which DITA is praised are: semantic tagging, chunking of content into topics, content re-use at various levels, options for conditional publishing.

LwDita offers these features as well. But where full DITA contains many features (elements, attributes) which are specific for a broad range of use-cases, LwDITA deliberately limits itself  to generically useable constructs. This results in a much "smaller standard", in terms of elements, attributes and complexity.

This pragmatism has two results. For individuals, learning how to use the standard in a sensible way, will be much easier. Lightweight DITA is expected to allow the use of more generic authoring and storage tooling than full-DITA. For organizations, implementing LwDITA will involve much less change-management effort and lower costs on ICT than full DITA does require.

The choices that kept the LwDITA standard lightweight, logically mean that LwDITA has functional limitations compared to full DITA. For organizations who -after having gained experience with structured content authoring- need more features, LwDITA can serve as a good start to evolve to full DITA as it is as much 'upwards compatible' as possible.
"

2.2 Support for non-XML formats
"LwDITA adds support for structured authoring in HTML5 and Markdown" -->

My question: Only in authoring or also in storage (and publishing for that matter?). Question also relates to 4.2.x

3.2 Stricter content model

Would it be useful to add / replace "No mixed content" to/as the title ("Stricter content model: no mixed content" ), as this is the essence of LwDITA's "Stricter content model" (if I am right)?

5. Tools
We intend to provide a free-of-charge Cloud LwDITA instance of FontoXML - as a Service for at least the first half year after LwDITA is introduced. It will use GoogleDrive and OneDrive as a repository, hence allowing small teams to work together. It will not require any installation of tools. It will work very comparable to http://dita.fontoxml.com does already.
Can you mention this in this paragraph?

---

Please let me know if you need me to put this kind of suggestions into the doc itself instead of as a separate mail.

Hope it is helpful!
Cheers,

Jan

FontoXMLJan Benedictus - CEO

t +31 70 3191923    ·  m +31 6 144 82 303
e team@fontoXML.com    ·  w FontoXML.com
Facebook   LinkedIn   Afbeelding   Twitter  s LinkedIn    ·  s Twitter