dita-machine-industry message

Subject: Meeting minutes -- 13. Nove,ber 2006 -- DITA MACHINE INDUSTRY SC

Meeting minutes -- 13. Nove,ber 2006 -- DITA MACHINE INDUSTRY SC
(minutes taken ny Norbert Casellini <norbertc@trisoft.be>)

Date: November 14th, 2006
Time: 04:00pm - 05:00pm CET

Participants
Chris Kravogel (seicodyne)
Sissi Closs (Comet)
Norbert Casellini (Trisoft)
Patrick Willekens (Icos)
Robin Sloan (ptc)
Gerald Gtz (Noxum)
Ulrich Wachowius (SDL)

DITA Technical Committee Web site:
    - Public:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita-machine-industry
    - Members only:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/

Results:

1. Roll-call: we have quorum

2. Reviewer approve minutes from previous meeting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/email/archives/200610/msg00011.html
Chris motions to accept the minutes of the previous meeting, Robin Sloan seconded it. No Objections

3. We still need a secretary and because there is no volunteer we go alphabetically for the time being

4. Business
* Starting work with reading proposal Nr 5.

Offering to add a complete domain for hazard statements. Lucent and Seycodyne are offering different solution.
a) have a generic element. So the user would gave the base generic elements. If a company needs to add specific, the company would then add them themselves.
b) Add specific hazard statements (like a library). But this would extend the standard too much. We should stay with the ISO standard.

Discussing two examples of the "technical requirements" Document

Robin asks if we really need two types (ansi and ours). Chris suggests that a company can simply delete what is not needed (The ANSI one should stay there because of backward compatibility)

Chirs would prefer to have an extend version. Proposes to make a specific domain. New Elementc called "hazad statement" would apear.

Looking at Issue #5 Proposal: new Elements for DITA 1.2 and looking at how the proposed "Hazard" would look like.

Patrick suggests to make 4 columns. Chris explains that we need to specify what type of elements we have. We are proposing ANSI standard. But 4 columns is not ANSI standard. Chris suggests to rewrite the stylesheet so to have this layout. Chris suggests to upload a sample of their manual to have a look  (should happen in the next two weeks). Patrick agrees.

Chris points out that he does not want to decide on DTD an lang proposal (PDF Document) but just on the HTML Document

Siss Closs asks about online samples. Group should upload samples to discuss about it next week (screen shot, PDF ,Word)

Norbert is asking if it will work that we decide on things without real input from industry. Chris explains we only need agreement on the proposal and not on the decision in it.

Chris looks for acceptance.  Patrik seconds, nobody objects

For next week:
a) find rendering samples.
b) Check the PDF: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/download.php/20875/issue5.pdf
c) Talk about it with users or colleagues.
* Task 1: Brainstorming

Chris points out that nobody sent input as requested in the prvious meeting  Chris opens the discussion for the last 10 minutes: "What is needed in the DITA standard for the machine industry"

Patrik requests support for SVG. Chris confirms that in DITA 1.1 we will have an element as container for graphics and also have direct SVG Support

Patrik asks if it will do cross linking to SVG. Chris assumes it will, but might be dependent on the DITA OT Chris will look if we already have a 1.1 description of this and if so, upload it

Patrick requires a maintenance task (tools for tasks, location of the machine etc), which are not supported in the current regular Task. Chris points at the charter of the subcommittee where this point is already included/suggested It is good that Patrick confirms this need. Nobody else in the group has comments. Chris makes this suggestion the sixth goal in our list

Chris points at the template zip files, to be used for uploading suggestions (there are two formats. Take what you need: simple or DITA): Patrick will fill in his thougts about a maintenance task into a template and uploads it for the next meeting

Gerald commtents of task body. It is unclear where the statement is allowed. It is important to have the hazard stat. Right before the steps. Chris will check for next time and find out where the note element is allowed. Important: Note should be at the start of the task list. Gerald: a) warning for all steps or for every single one. Sissy says that in each step you can have an info element that can contain note

Announcements and other points: Robin is pointing out that the latest version 5.3 of Arbortext Editor has a complete DITA support and we can have a testversion. Just ask rsloan@ptc.com

PS: I was asked to write less next time... will do so :-)