dita-machine-industry message

Subject: WG: [dita] DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 December 2007

fyi

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Gershon L Joseph [mailto:gershon@tech-tav.com]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 6. Januar 2008 13:42
An: DITA TC List

Hello all,

Welcome back from our holiday break. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday 8
January.

Please review the following proposals that will be voted on for acceptance
as design-approved next meeting.

-------------
PENDING VOTES

The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:

1.  #12040 - Machine Industry Task type

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26574/IssueNumber12040-2.h
tml

2.  #12024 - Hazard Statement Domain

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26390/IssueNumber12024.htm

-------------

Best,
Gershon

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation
Subcommittee Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 December 2007

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com> (first hour)
and Alan Houser <arh@groupwellesley.com> (second hour)

-------------
PENDING VOTES

The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:

1.  #12040 - Machine Industry Task type
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26574/IssueNumber12040-2.html

2.  #12024 - Hazard Statement Domain
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26390/IssueNumber12024.html

-------------

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 18 December 2007 at 08:00am PT for
120 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00038.html (11 Dec 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Proposals for Design Approval vote:

        1.  #12007 - Indirect reference/keyref proposal
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00057.html (Ogden on clarifications)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26493/IssueNumber1207v8b.html

            Proposal #12007 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        2.  #12031 - Discussion on Controlled values, #collection-type enumerations and glossaries
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26359/IssueControlledValues12031.html

            Proposal #12031 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        3.  #12047 - add convenience elements for composing maps that set attribute defaults
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26129/IssueMapConveniences12047.html

            Proposal #12047 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        4.  #12014 - Delayed conref resolution
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00003.html

            Proposal #12014 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        5.  #12015 - Conref Push
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00005.html

            Proposal #12015 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        6.  #12043 - allow draft-comment in more places
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00052.html (Anderson reiteration on scope)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26378/IssueNumber12043.html

            Proposal #12043 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        7.  #12050a - longdescref, scope, etc
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26373/IssueNumber12050a.html

            Proposal #12050a accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        8.  #12060 - verbatim inclusion of text
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26374/IssueNumber12060.html

            Proposal #12060 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

        9.  #12022 - make @role (and other enumerated attributes) unenumerated (move to vote based on input by Friday--done)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00051.html (Kimber background on changes)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26496/IssueUnenumerate12022.html (Kimber wrap-up)

            Proposal #12022 accepted as design-approved by acclamation

    2.  ITEM: Review prepared proposals:

        1.  Check status of ITEM: #12011 - Generic Task Type (Houser)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00063.html (Houser wrap-up)

            Alan briefed the TC on the proposal. Desire for new generic task
            specialization. After discussions, it was decided to use constraints
            to implement the legacy task model. The latest proposal provides the
            background for this as well as the content models for the new looser
            <task> specialization.
            There will be two task DTDs; and implementers/adopters need to
            decide which task to use (either the unconstrained task or the
            constrained task).
            It was noted that (steps | steps-unordered | process) should be
            optional to be consistent with the current <task> content model.

            Discussion on <section>'s name and content model. <steps> is
            specialized off <ol> that does not include <section>, so we can't
            legally have <section> here. MP suggested calling it <step-section>.

            Eliot objected specializing from <ol> to an element that is not
            meant to have sequence numbering.

            MP: You'd get a numbered list in which some of the list items are
            not executable list items, which is semantically correct.

            Eliot: I'll get different numbering results if I use
            if I use the standard <ol> processing or specific steps processing.

            MP: It's just that we're not going to number every <li>.

            Discussion on formatting a specialized element differently than
            the base element from which it was specialized.

            JoAnn requested the proposal includes examples of expected output
            formatting.

            Eliot: By using section here, is the desire that it could take a
            title?

            Alan agreed that <section> is too rich a content model. The TC felt
            using the same content model as <li> would offer the content model
            required for this use case.

            JoAnn: The reason for this proposal is to combine several proposals
            (including that from the MI SC), viz. notes before <cmd>. However,
            this proposal includes that change within this very loose content
            model.

            MP suggested the constrained task should include the note before cmd,
            since it's a feature that's often been required in the past.

            paragraph level elements. I chose <section> because it supports
            that.

            MP: If you specialize off section, we can remove the title and it
            can still contain the section block elements. If you need multiple
            sections inside then you could specialize off the new sections
            container.

            Following some discussion, it became clear that it probably makes
            the most sense to specialize <process> off <section>. This also
            avoids multiple levels of nesting.

            MP: I noticed we still have only one of the other elements either
            side of <steps>.

            Gershon suggested making <prereq> and <postreq> one or more instead
            of 0 or 1.

            is not required it won't validate. MP reluctant to introduce a
            content model that's invalid XML.

            The TC decided to take this to the list; Alan Houser will provide
            updated proposal by 2 January 2007.

        2.  ITEM: #12040 - Machine Industry Task type
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26574/IssueNumber12040-2.html (updated today)

            Chris Kravogal: Design overview: Align prereq and postreq with
            S1000D, keep all else as is now. New element prelreq a domain
            specialization of prereq. closereq is specialization of postreq.
            S1000D elements like "nativeboxnumber" were considered not usable
            for DITA standard. Copying S1000D standard was a non-goal.

            Don Day -- Should this be merged with generic task type?

            Consensus -- No. Should be separate domain specialization for this
            set of use cases.

            CK -- Need better, more general name than "Machine Industry Task
            Type." Use cases are broader than just machine industry.

            Michael Priestley -- Concur. Need a "good label" for the new
            specialization. This would be a follow-up activity, not part of the
            actual design.

            Motion to bring proposal #12040 to vote at next meeting. Motion
            approved by acclamation.

        3.  ITEM: #12024 - Hazard Statement Domain
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26390/IssueNumber12024.html

            Chris Kravogal: Bring DITA in line with ANSI Z535 and ISO 3864-2
            standards.

            Add hazard statement domain -- specialization of note.

            JoAnn Hackos -- Why the specified order of "consequence" and "how to
            avoid" elements?

            CK -- Order as defined in ANSI standard. Perhaps we should consider
            whether to provide a less rigid constraint on the order.

            JH -- I would support this. Always put the type first. Leave
            consequence and "how to avoid" unconstrained.

            Robert Anderson -- If you leave the order unconstrained, you can't
            require at least one "how to avoid".

            Consensus -- more flexibility is better than less.

            RA -- Please change name of "symbol" to "hazardsymbol". High risk of
            name conflicts if left as-is.

            CK -- Agreed.

            MP -- Symbol can be supplied by stylesheet if not defined, although
            author can specify.

            RA -- Observation/request: Content models contain PCDATA and <ph>.
            Should also contain keyword, term, and trademark.

            CK -- Agreed.

            CK proposes 12024 to come to vote at next meeting. Carried by
            acclamation.

        4.  ITEM: #12038 - Acronym proposal
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26484/IssueGlossary12026.html (Hennum wrap-up)

            1.  Merge of Acronym and Glossary proposals
                * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00056.html (Hennum)

            2.  Issue for Unifying Acronyms and Glossary
                * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00061.html (Hennum)

            Deferred discussion until next meeting.

--Out of time. Meeting adjourned.--

    3.  Ongoing: Review of "Items for discussion" list in the Frontpage
        * How much flexibility for specializers?

    4.  Discuss the 2-implementations rule for specializations under revised Spec organization

4.  Announcements/Opens

    1.  Meeting schedule

        This is the last regular meeting for 2007.
        Next TC meeting will be on January 8, 2008.

    2.  Second Life

        Chris Kravogal -- Next DITA meeting in Second Life on January 4.